Today is Fr. Mon's birthday. He would have turned 42 today. Although he's not among the 7 people who were canonized in Rome today, for those of us whom he had ministered to tirelessly, he is already a saint.
In 2016, using the story of Raising Lazarus (John 11:1-46), Fr. Mon shared this reflection with the Bereavement Ministry:
- God's timing is always right, good, and perfect...even when we don't understand. Earlier, when Jesus found out Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was until after Lazarus died...so that through the events to follow God would be glorified.
- In each situation there is a time for truth and a time for tears. The Spirit prompts which is appropriate. Martha needed truth. Mary needed tears. Some are ready to hear truth while grieving. Others just need someone to weep with them.
- Both sisters made the same statement to Jesus. "If you had been here my brother would not have died." Jesus responded differently to the sisters. To Martha he confronted her with truth by proclaiming who He was and the resurrection from the dead. When Mary made the exact same statement to Christ, he responded with tears...not truth.
- What does this story say about people?
- What does this story say about Jesus?
- What does this story say about you
- Who needs to hear this story?